Yes, they do look like space pants. They are awesome. If you look for down pants to purchase on the internet, you won't find any that are as light as these (less than a pound) and less than $150. Now, Ben is on to making a tarp that he can use over a bivy sack for his winter backpacking adventure next week. They have full-length velcro sides so you can take them on and off while leaving your boots on...that's key in the winter.
While Ben has been working in the "sewing room", I have been busy in the kitchen. I have 5 new backpacking meals that work and are pretty tasty! Minestrone (red beans, orzo, and lots of veggies), Pulao (indian rice dish with nuts and golden raisins), Corn chowder (instant potato soup with buttermilk, corn, and veggies), Daal (indian lentil and rice and veggies dish), and mexican red beans and rice (with jalapenos, red/green peppers, spices like cumin and garlic). Too bad we couldn't get out this weekend to do a true "field test". What tastes barely OK in your kitchen usually tastes pretty good after a full day of trekking. It amazes me how much Mountain House backpacking meals that you buy in EMS cost, and even more amazed at the people that purchase them.
I also had my first cheese-making adventure this weekend. I purchased a kit from New England Cheesemaker's Co. and made ricotta and mozzarella! I was surprised at how easy it was, and with a friend (thanks Beth!) it was even easier. I made mozz from raw, organic milk from the Brookford Farm in Rollinsford (thanks Erik and Denise for the gift certificate) and made ricotta from regular old whole milk from the store. The yield for mozzarella is disappointingly small, although I did manage to have enough to top a pizza and some left for snacking. The ricotta yield was much higher, I filled a 30 ounce container.
The major byproduct of cheesemaking is the whey, which you can use to bake with. I made the pizza dough with whey and it was delicious! I also later made my first old-fashioned loaf of bread (without the bread machine) with the whey, which was also fantastic. My friend Jack (an avid cheesemaker) claims that it is also good plant food, and you can also add it to pet food (it's high in protein). Interesting!
The mozzarella could use some improving, I think I heated it too long after the curds combined and it is slightly rubbery. It melted fine, but the texture was not quite like fresh mozz...
When you are making cheese, after you heat the milk and citric acid, you add rennet which causes the milk to "curd". I am thinking next time of leaving the cheese in curd form and having a cheese curd snack! Watch out Frenchies, I'm perfecting your poutine! I told my mom of this prospect and she was excited.
A few cheesemaking websites if you want to check it out for yourself:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/cheese.html
OK, now all I have to do is go out and get a cow...
awesome! yes, you will be set once you get a cow:) wish we lived closer so i could come try your homemade pizza.....looks so yummy!
ReplyDelete